DON'T ASSUME, ASK!

 


DON'T ASSUME, ASK!

Written By Joseph Adeleke A

Personal Development Coach

When I was still singing, I wanted to relieve my friend, Ogunariwo Oluwaseun from doing my graphic design. He was always ready to help me with the design but I felt bad that I wasn't financially buoyant to pay him at that time. So, on a fateful day, when I was coming out from my Hostel at unilag, I saw a flyer reading "Learn Film Making, Graphics Designing and Animation at .....". I took the flyer but I was scared of how much it would cost to learn it. I went  home and had a talk with my friend, Fashola Oladapo who had come visiting that weekend. Told him about the training and the fear I had in telling my dad about. I knew he wasn't financially buoyant and I did not think I should trouble him about going to another school while I was still schooling at Unilag. Instead of having fears, he advised that I tell my dad first before concluding. So the next morning before leaving for school, I told my dad about the Film School and he said

"I have always wanted you to have a handwork, nothing beats that. This degree you are doing is good but having a skill will help you in life. Go to that school and make enquiry about it and get back to me" 

Damn, I was so excited about it. Why didn't I tell him before? What if I didn't tell him, did that mean I would have missed the opportunity of visiting the school for enquiry?


I visited the school later in the day because I couldn't afford to wait for another day. However when I got to the school, I was told the fee for the training was 250,000 naira, a time I was paying 14,500 as my school fee at unilag. I was terrified, I couldn't think straight. I wasn't sure of what my father's response would be. Still, I called him to inform him. And instead of screaming like I did, he responded with a calm voice and said

"Can they collect payment in installments?"

I asked the Administrator immediately and he said 

"Yes of coz, 50,000 every three months for the next 18 months of the training".

Wow, that was a real ease for me. 

I can remember feeling bad that my dad couldn't afford to buy me camera. Almost all my mates were already owners of Cameras during my film training. My dad was terribly sick and it wasn't the right time to start asking him for 120,000 naira to get a Camera.  I needed help but couldn't ask anyone. My dad isn't a fan of begging people for support, neither am I. Instead of worrying myself about buying a Camera, I started shooting with phones. 

It was on a very good night when I was coming from an event with one of my mentors, Mr Philip Akinyoola. He asked about my plans of getting a camera and I gave the excuse of my dad's health. He didn't say anything at all but listened to all my worries. After my talk, he requested for my dad's phone number and placed a call through to him. It was like magic. He successfully convinced my dad to buy me a camera and my dad made the money ready the following day.

Damn! How did he do it? What was I getting wrong? Maybe if he hadn't told my dad, I might not have the Joself Pictures Studio I run today.

What's the thing you want to ask from someone, but you are scared of asking? Are you like me that felt if you tried asking, the person might say NO. Why not ask and hear the NO instead of assuming the person will say NO when he or she hasn't even uttered a word. 


"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:


For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matthew 7:7-8


"I am interested in seeing you become a better person while I work on me too"


My name is Joseph Adeleke, your #personaldevelopmentcoach

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MANAGING MISTAKES EFFECTIVELY!

Robert t. kiyosaki exceptional business quotes.

This Is Why You Are Not Getting Opportunities